Monday, October 10, 2005

Walking

Quite a lot has happened over these past three days, but the main thing to take away is that I've done a lot of walking. Let's start with Friday.

Woke up and went to Borders with Jack over on Oxford Street. They have a pretty good deal going there, where students are offered a 20% discount along with a chocolate bar for a given purchase. Nice. What was not so nice was that I had forgotten by book list and thus only spent 15 minutes there trying to remember the titles of the books, unsuccessfully. Going back took another half hour or thereabouts making me late for my lecture. The lecture was held in a theatre which is just across the road from my hall. I sat down awkwardly expecting the lecturer to be 20 minutes into the material. But the guy next to me said that there were some technical difficulties. He started soon after I sat down though. The guy next to me was called Jamal and he's a really nice guy. Even introduced me to his bunch of friends: Mehti, Asif, Mohammed and a few others. Went to the lecture concerning the group project and there's a girl from Hong Kong in my group. If you didn't know, girls don't tend to do computer science, let alone one from Hong Kong. Later on have to make a point to ask her why she chose it to do CS. Was trying out Open GL in a graphics lab when Carrie MSNed me. She needed some help with maths so I went over to help her for around a bit. She gave me some of the soup she made - it was really sweet! Only did one problem though, but coming up the lift, I thought of the solution to another. Ended up doing the four problems for her, though at dinner that night, Carrie told me that Zoe had all the answers from last year, and so I did all that work for nothing!

Before dinner, however I went to Regent's Park. It's so big! And walking along the central path felt like walking in the middle of an oil painting. It's just so well maintained and so natural to look at. Everything is meticulously set out. Actually I went there to play football with the .techSociety guys, i.e. the Computer Science guys. It was alright. Think our team won overall, though we had lost count of the goals toward the end (not because there were a lot scored but simply because we forgot to count). After that had dinner (fish and chips) and then went to iClub where I hung out with Sam and Aileen for a bit. Had drinks at The Heights later with the bunch. The hot chocolate was delicious (you get a teapot and you can pour it into your cup and saucer) though upon seeing £10.20 on the bill I nearly fainted. Realising later that on the left it read: Quantity 4, and that since our group was so big, three other people had ordered the same thing without me realising it, I breathed a sigh of relief. London wasn't as expensive as I thought it might have been. And there was evening, and there was morning — Saturday.

Went to Portobello Market today at Notting Hill Gate. Picked up Frederick from Commonwealth beforehand and met with Bosco at Burger King where we had breakfast. Later we were joined by Christine, Erica and Maria. Walked for ages and ages, sifting through antiques, clothes, vegetables - everything. Below you'll see a photo of Jack and I in the first section, before we're tired. Didn't end up buying much. Just an old vinyl - Leonard Bernstein's West End Story. Don't have a vinyl player so have no means of playing it. For decoration I guess. £2. Bah.

From Top to Bottom:

1. Toward the start of Portabello Market.
2. Toward the start of Portabello Market with Jack.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home