Friday, October 28, 2005

.techSociety

Turns out today was a big day! Had two lectures in the early afternoon which we alright. According to Mark Handley, the lecturer for Operating Systems, "None of us are normal", since we use Unix.

Suneer was funny as usual with his off-handed comments...
Suneer: 'scuse me, can you not use the red marker. Can't see.
Lecturer: Errr. Okay. [changes to black marker] Is this better?
Suneer: A little.
Lecturer: Maybe if you can't see properly, instead of sitting at the back, you can sit up the front.
Suneer: It's not my eyes, it's the marker.
Lecturer: There's a spot right here in the front.
Suneer: My eyesight is brilliant!
Lecturer: We can have more fun together if you sit here though.
Suneer: Oh, I don't know about that... [pretends to be scared]

By this time the whole lecture theatre is full of laughter. This was only bettered by Mark answering "interesting", when after a proof the lecturer asked what this was proof was not. Also had a group meeting which was okay. Pretty technically involved. A lot about concurrency, parallel processing and multi-threading... the things we weren't taught about in the University of Melbourne java course. Ate Benjys for lunch. That £1 Happy Hour thing. Mark ate at Subway.

Later on at 6pm, after I had gotten the .techSociety membership card, I went to the 4.17 Computer Labs. Played two hours of Unreal Tournament 2004. Nice. And surprisingly found out that I was competent, which is amazing since I never play computer games in these past few years. In a group of around 20 people, I placed 2nd once while Mo was 1st. It's quite different with UT2004 since you can play "Assault" which involves vehicles. Never tried that before. Suneer was swearing away, shouting and abusing those around him and his computer too. Funny stuff.

Later, we went to join the Pub Crawl which had already started. Since it was around ULU, I went back to my hall to drop some stuff off. Joined them afterward and went around everywhere! From ULU to the Malborough Arms near UCL to a bar in Camden (took the bus there!) and then to another one somewhere in Camden. Didn't have too much to drink. Just a bottle of Becks and finished off Elle's lemonade, unlike Mark who downed something between 8 and 10 pints. Crazy. Finished around 1am, and then I had dinner. We left Pat, Amy, Mark and a few others at the last pub, while Elle, Duncan, Chet, Bella and I went to grab something to eat. Since Elle used to live in Camden, we went to Chicken Express which was decently cheap enough for us to be happy. £3.24 - large chips, two pieces of chicken and a large corn-on-the-cob. Mmmmm. After that, walked back to my hall from Camden, which wasn't too bad since a lot of them had to walk back to Warren Street Station anyhow.

Top to Bottom:

1. Elle and I at Camden.
2. Pat dancing in Camden.
3. The Marlborough Arms near UCL.
Top row: Unknown, Nick, Elle, Amy, Mark.
Bottom row: Duncan, Pat, Bella.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi timmy u look like u had fun during ur pub crawl wahhahaha..ok talk to u on msn.. O_O i'm actually talking to u now

12:18 AM, October 29, 2005  
Blogger p.l. said...

hello. how do you get the word verification thing before a comment is posted? i think you know who i am. you know me very very well. guess who?

3:34 AM, October 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home