Sunday, November 13, 2005

Fortnight

Haven't blogged in around a fortnight. Been quite busy! A few interesting things that have happened include going to the Guy Fawkes Day fireworks, going to the Stephen Hawking book promotion and having yum cha excessively.

Guy Fawkes day was one week ago today, and since we wanted to have dinner at the hall, we wouldn't be able to go with Jack's friends. Due to our lack of persuasiveness, only Jack and I ended up going, taking bus 24 outside UCL down to the Thames, where we crossed Chelsea Bridge to go to Battersea Park. We were a tad late, and couldn't justify forking out the £4 entrance fee, so we stood on Chelsea Bridge to observe the fireworks. There were many fireworks at different locations going on at the same time, and I've managed to combine a few shots in photoshop (see Figure 1). Jack took a picture of me, and when I looked at it, I wasn't there *gasp* (see Figure 2). The jumper and the scarf was there, but my head wasn't there. Since the camera review screen wasn't really that big, I couldn't see properly and wondered if something like The Ring was happening to me... but one week's past I'm still here now. Oh yeah, when we left, we saw two Ferraris one after another (see Figure 3).

Stephen Hawking. I knew he would talk using the computer synthesiser but when he talked, his mouth didn't move and he remained expressionless for the better part of the evening. Which leads me to think that maybe he was sitting there and it was all pre-recorded. But then there were these 5 minutes pauses for no reasons and then he repeated the last line... mmm? It wasn't that interesting. No detail, content was brief and I didn't buy the book. Some topics he touched on include "where we've come from" (see Figure 4) and "absolute time" (see Figure 5).

Last but not least, I have had yum cha quite a bit in the past fortnight. Had yum cha with Chermai, Hysing, Ken, Don and a few others... Computer Science people. It was only £6, which is not bad at all. Then on Sunday I had it again with Aunty Ching-Ping, Andrew, Aileen, Pastor Tan and Aunty Maylee. Leftovers were eaten on Monday. Mmmm. Brought 叉燒包 x3 back for Jack and Bosco. Bosco was too busy talking to his girlfriend, Natalie in Hong Kong to care about us. These are some of the many photos we took of him (see Figure 6).

From Top to Bottom:
1. Figure 1
2. Figure 2
3. Figure 3
4. Figure 4
5. Figure 5
6. Figure 6






2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two Ferraris in a row...how cool is that!! Are ppl in London much richer than Melbourne?? Good that you can take a photo of two in one shot...nice one mate!! Btw...wat's Guy Fawkes Day??

11:11 AM, November 13, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, i like the photoes of Bosco, amusing ones.
Topics Stephen Hawking seem to be interesting though, I wonder what did they say. But from the photoes the content seems to be pretty theoretical though...

12:12 PM, November 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home